Microsoft Excel - Stage 2 - the next step in becoming a proficient user of Excel
About this Auckland Chamber Online Live Streaming course
This lively 3.5 hour course is the second step in becoming proficient in Excel. It focuses on teaching the smart ways to quickly update and analyse Excel data.
If you use Excel often but find you seem to be spending way too much time getting the results you require, this is the course for you.
Is this course suitable for you or your team?
This course is suitable for anyone who is already knowledgeable in the topics covered in our
“Excel Essential Skills – Stage 1” course and is the next step to becoming a proficient user of Excel. This course is definitely for you if:
- You want to save time sorting, filtering and analysing data
- You want to be confident in creating calculations and reading other people's calculations
- You want to learn some of the most popular Excel functions
- You want to reduce time spent cross-referencing and updating your data
By the end of this course, you should be able to confidently:
- Organise, extract and subtotal lists of data using Sort, Filter and Subtotals
- Deal with unexpected results when create and copying calculations
- Save time and reduce errors using Excel functions
- Learn shortcuts to move, copy and link information between worksheets and workbooks
Delivered as an Online Live Streaming session
This course is designed to be delivered as an instructor led online live streaming session via Zoom or Microsoft Teams. Attendee numbers are set for a maximum of 6 only. The course is delivered by a certified Microsoft® Office Specialist with over 20 years of experience training Microsoft® products.
Learning online - what you will need
Before your session, please ensure you have access to the internet, and your browser is the latest version of Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome. If you wish to follow along with the instructor, it is recommended that you have Microsoft® Excel software installed and two screens or two computers available. One to follow along in Excel, and the other to watch the instructor. The course is complemented with a step-by-step workbook and exercise files which will be emailed to you prior to your session. Please note, this training is for Windows for PC only and isn’t suitable for the Mac version of Excel.
This course is designed for people who already have the essential skills needed to create, format, edit, save and print an Excel workbook. This includes the ability to create basic formulas and use the SUM function.
Course delivery consists of 3.5 hours tuition. Comfort breaks are factored into the session time.
Topics covered in this course include the following:
Working with tables of data
- Freezing titles so that they are still seen while scrolling
- Prepare the data for sorting and filtering
- Sort lists of data, including applying sorting levels (a sort within a sort)
- Instantly insert sub-total and total rows to a table of sorted data
- AutoFilter -use set criteria to create custom filters
- Filtering tricks that save you time!
Working with multiple worksheets/workbooks
- Tips for working with multiple worksheets to save time formatting, updating, copying, moving and printing
- Link information between worksheets and workbooks
- Dealing with linked workbooks - refreshing, opening the source data, unlinking
Formulas and Functions
- Quick refresher on creating calculations in Excel
- Understand why calculations can be displayed incorrectly.
- Learn quick tips for copying calculations; absolute addressing
- Learn how to insert, write and get help on functions in Excel
- Find averages, highest value and lowest value using AVERAGE, MAX and MIN
- Count how many items are in a range using the COUNT family of functions
- Perform calculations only if set criteria are met using the IF function
- Total a range including only values that meet a set criteria using SUMIF
- Work with ranges that contain errors using the IFERROR and ISERROR functions
- Utilise today’s date in calculations using the TODAY function