Michael Meredith - Chef, Owner of Meredith’s, Founder Eat My Lunch. Samoan born chef and owner of award –winning restaurant Meredith’s, Michael is also one of the founding partners of Eat My Lunch, the buy one give one lunch social enterprise business feeding lunches to hungry school kids. Michael is one of Auckland’s most celebrated master chefs recently named Restaurateur of the Year by Metro Magazine 2016.
- Born in Samoa
- Grew up watching his mother cook for her pancake stall at the Apia Market who was also a housekeeper for the Australian high commissioner
- Credits his mother and Samoan upbringing for laying a foundation for his no-waste culinary philosophy
- When Meredith was just 6, his mother moved to New Zealand and the young brothers were sent to live with an uncle. Meredith did not live with his mother again until he came to New Zealand with his brother when he was 13
- Left school at 15, worked as a trolley boy at a supermarket, got fired a couple of times. Discovered he had a knack for cooking while doing a course through the Tangata Pasifika Trust. After fortnight he was sent along for work experience at Vinnies restaurant and the rest of his life began.
- 1993 worked at Simon Gault’s restaurant Gaults on Quay
- Worked for Tony Astle at Antoine’s
- Became founder chef at The Grove in 2004
- 2007 opened Meredith’s in Mt Eden
- Lewisham Award 2015, for the second time
- 2008 Metro Best New Restaurant Award and
- 2009 Metro Audi Restaurant “Supreme Winner” Award,
- 2011 Cuisine NZ Restaurant of the Year Award,
- Multiple Outstanding Chef of the Year Awards.