The Auckland Business Chamber established this scholarship in 2016 to mark Michael Barnett’s 25 years of leadership of the Auckland Business Chamber.
Michael was appointed chief executive of the Auckland Chamber in 1991. He has led the Chamber through times of change while maintaining a focus on what was good for business and good for Auckland. His role as chief executive enables him to contribute towards issues of trade and policy that grow the economy as well as providing a voice for business. It also allows him to pursue initiatives enabling youth to participate in the workforce.
Michael provides leadership on matters including diversity, education, transport, international trade, ports, infrastructure and local government efficiency.
He was an elected local government politician for nine years and was made an Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit (ONZM) in 2011.
There are two scholarships available valued at $5,000 each.
You will need to:
- be a promising communication or management student who would benefit from this scholarship to complete your studies, or...
- be a great communicator who could benefit from this scholarship in order to develop strong leadership skills, or...
- have a research project, associated with leadership or communication that would benefit from this scholarship
- be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
To apply for the scholarship
Make sure you complete and submit the online application form by the scholarship due date.
- Written statement
- Digital video statement
- Interview (Presentation)
You need to include:
- Academic History
- Details of your vision and the research you would conduct if you were the recipient of the scholarship
- Any relevant work experience (interests and/or community)
- Your achievements
How the Scholarship is awarded
All applications are submitted to a selection committee. The short listed candidates will be interviewed by Michael Barnett and a member of the Auckland Business Chamber Board.