Michael Barnett is Chief Executive of the Auckland Business Chamber. He is a highly respected voice for business and has led the Chamber for more than 25 years.
In his role as CEO he leads a management team dedicated to fostering business success by providing a wide range of business advisory and support services to the business community. He is committed to the objectives of diversity in the workplace and achieving greater work-life balance. In 2020 he was elected on to the Council of the World Chamber Federation, the first time the NZ Chambers, and their respective business communities, had a voice in this organisation.
Prior to his time with Auckland Chamber Michael spent 15 years within the manufacturing and supply chain industries involved with importing and distribution in New Zealand.
He was a proud recipient of a NZ Order of Merit in 2011 for services to business.
Michael is currently a director of both the Auckland Chamber and NZ Chambers of Commerce & Industry. He is chairperson on the following boards:
- Chairman of the Equal Employment Opportunities Trust (now Diversity Works)
- 6 years elected Member of the Auckland Electricity Consumer Trust
- Deputy Chairman Mercury Energy
- 9 years elected Member Auckland Regional Council
- Deputy Chairman Transport Committee
- Chairman Economic Development Committee
- Deputy Chairman of Council
- Member Council for Open Polytech
- 9 years as Member Prime Ministers Business Advisory Council – J. Bolger
- Chairman Economic Development Forum Taupo
- CEO – The Cloud, Queens Wharf
- Chairman Puka Park Hotel
- Director Credit Corp
- Lead and participate in Trade Delegations, including Germany, Poland, Austria, Korea, Japan, China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, Brunei, Chile, Argentina and USA
P 09 302 9916