Michael Barnett is Chief Executive of the Auckland Business Chamber. He is a highly respected voice for business and has led the Chamber for more than 25 years.
In his role as CEO he leads a management team dedicated to fostering business success by providing a wide range of business advisory and support services to the business community. He is committed to the objectives of diversity in the workplace and achieving greater work-life balance.
Prior to his time with Auckland Chamber Michael spent 15 years within the manufacturing and supply chain industries involved with importing and distribution in New Zealand.
He was a proud recipient of a NZ Order of Merit in 2011 for services to business.
Michael is currently a director of both the Auckland Chamber and NZ Chambers of Commerce & Industry. He is chairperson on the following boards:
- Diversity Works NZ
- Local Government Business Forum
- Auckland Business Forum
- Auckland Children’s Christmas Parade Trust
- Toi EDA (Economic Development Agency)
- Chairman of the Equal Employment Opportunities Trust (now Diversity Works NZ)
- 6 years elected Member of the Auckland Electricity Consumer Trust
- Member & Chair
- Deputy Chairman Mercury Energy
- 9 years elected Member Auckland Regional Council
- Deputy Chairman Transport Committee
- Chairman Economic Development Committee
- Deputy Chairman of Council
- Member Council for Open Polytech
- 9 years as Member Prime Ministers Business Advisory Council – J. Bolger
- Chairman Economic Development Forum Taupo
- CEO – The Cloud, Queens Wharf
- Chairman Puka Park Hotel
- Director Credit Corp
- Lead and participate in Trade Delegations, including Germany, Poland, Austria, Korea, Japan, China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, Brunei, Chile, Argentina and USA